Tuesday, February 6, 2007

This is my beef

Some years back I met an Indian doctor at a party in a mutual friend’s house. Having been sufficiently interesting to get her phone number, I called her couple of days later while having dinner at home. While the small talk was meandering through inanities, she asked me what I was eating. My answer, beef tacos, elicited a high pitch expression of disgust that sounded something like “YEEEEEEEUUUUUUCK!” Just the thing I wanted to hear when enjoying a meal in my own home.

Really, why do vegetarians develop this sense of revulsion that they are quick to express? It is annoying to have someone having a philosophical objection to one’s choice of food, and then expressing those objections in an uncalled for manner.

I usually ignore such verbal assaults, but having the need to write and having a platform to express ideas I will try to present a point of view that will hopefully make some vegetarians shut their mouth, especially when I am eating.

The first objection you vegetarians have is the physical nausea you feel when you see meat. This is understandable, since your body is reacting to the unfamiliar. Uncooked meat does smell, but only in large quantities usually seen in fresh meat markets. A couple of pounds of fresh meat has a faint scent that is not discernible unless you are rubbing your noses in it. The other reason for this revulsion could be the sight of meat. This argument held some water when meat markets were not as prolific and the sight of meat brought forth unfamiliar physical responses. But this is 2007! Go to any major market in the city, and you will find a meat market attached to it. The super markets stock fresh and packed meat adjacent to the frozen food, and ice creams section. Vegetarians, you should make daily treks to such markets and get used to the sight of meat. Pick a pound bag of meat and repeat, “This is food which my fellow human beings eat, and I will learn to respect it”. Do this for a month, and I guarantee you will not wrinkle your nose at my dinner table.

Then comes the mother of all arguments. Non-vegetarians are snuffing out a life. Read your science, people. Spend some time and read Tompkins & Bird's “The Secret life of Plants”. Only then let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Having been raised a vegetarian, I first ate meat at my 8th grade physics teacher’s house. Ever since then I have enjoyed eating meat, albeit in moderation. So vegetarians let me tell you something.

Take any vegetable of your choice and choose a basic cooking method. Steam, Grill or Char. Having cooked your vegetable, take it to the dinner table, add condiments of choice and take the first bite. What do you feel? Nothing. Its food for sustenance that passes through your system without evoking any emotion. Which is why you folks have to smother the vegetables in some tasty medium like gravy or sambhar or other masking factors.

Now let me tell you about a quarter pound of beef grilled medium rare topped with grilled onions. As I cut the first piece, the body starts responding. It releases extra saliva in anticipation of that juicy morsel entering the mouth. As I chew the meat, it releases its juices into my body and satisfies the primal need of the carnivore in me. The satiation felt after eating a piece of meat is a feeling no vegetable on earth can elicit. Don’t believe me? Turn on Discovery when a show about Africa is on. See how the grass eaters are always skittish and nervous in every surrounding. Then check the lion, sitting in the shade looking out at the plains yawning contentedly. Vegetarians, you have never felt something like that.

Ever
.

2 comments:

Deepa said...

To each his own. Herbivore, omnivore, carnivore, gay, straight, bi, right-handed, left-handed, ambi-dextrous. To each their own. It's the variety that makes us interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hi Canis Lupus,
LOL - good post.
That apart, regarding your take on vegetarians' reaction to meat, I have my gnyan to contribute.
A friend of mine and I did get into a similar argument, which went something like:

A: What is your feeling towards eating meat?
B: It's disgusting, to say the least.
A: What! This is not the response that I expect!! You might have said, 'I have a psychological block' or 'morally it's wrong because our religious texts say so', or even, 'I am unable to describe my feeling' etc. But, disgusting?, I dont think that is the right word.
B: Now, now. Don't get into a tizzy about what I said. What would be your feeling about eating in a toilet off the commode?
A: Disgusting! But that's not a right comparison.
B: Wait a minute. Now, lets say I give you a newly bought bed pan, which has never been used and ask you to eat out of it?
A: Hmmm. well.. er...he.. he.. I dont know..
B: Would you feel nice about it? Now tell me what is your feeling? Can you call it disgusting?
A: I dont know. I still think that the word 'disgust' is inappropriate.
B: Let's look at the meaning of disgust. Over to dictionary.com. I rest my case. *Big grin*

I wont tell you who A and B were; it is immaterial to the discussion. :)